Friday, July 27, 2012

Potty Training

So potty training has been quite the fiasco but we finally have it down. We started back in March  just before Aiden turned 2 1/2. We tried every trick in the book and he would run to the potty and understand the urge but it just scared him half to death and he would cry the whole time...it was a mess. I stuck with it for a week to see if he'd get over it and he didn't, poor kid. Just wasn't quite ready, he always has been cautious about everything, he gets that from his mom (who apparently for the record was also difficult to potty train so oops!). Here is some documentation from attempt #1...




See a common theme here? Yeah the only way I could even get him to sit on the potty was if he was watching a show. Sit on the potty and relax anyways. So we tried talking about it once a month for the next little bit (one of the books I read said to wait a month in between tries), and he was still terrified of it. Finally about a month or so ago he seemed ready again but we had a constant stream of company and then painters so it was put off again. This time it was MUCH easier and he had most of it down by day 2, and 2 weeks later is doing really well (with only rare accidents). Glad to have that huge stress out of the way. I highly suggest waiting until their older, it's WAY easier. At least it was in this case. And I didn't end up with an untrained 3 year old so at least we have that haha.

potty training is tiring business



we had 2 toys that we wanted to get him anyways and we figured might as well use potty training as an excuse so after he was trained we made a big deal out of it since he'd had such a hard time with it for so long. So here he is enjoying his blocks. Mom wanted some small wooden blocks for him to build small towers but dad had the genius idea to show him these and it was all over from there. Those dads like to do things like that (grrr!).


So we now have a potty trained kid and I have to say I do NOT miss the diapers (even though I still have to help him to the potty because he can't pull his pants back up haha).

1 comment:

Unguren said...

Potty training is a beast. We didn't train Canon until he was 3....then it took only about a day. So much easier than the other two. I am waiting for awhile to do it with Penny.
Congrats on no more diapers.